Shiv Nadar University Central Library
The Shiv Nadar University Central Library is the soul of the institution and it is started acquiring, processing, preserving and disseminating information to the user community with the motto of empowering knowledge. It will have an extensive collection of books, scientific and technical journals and electronic reference material which will be updated regularly. The Library and Information Centre will consist of a Reference Section, Circulation Section, Audio-visual Section, Periodical Section, Book Bank and Digital Library. The University library has automated all its library activities to provide effective and wide range of academic resources such as books, journals, online databases, DVDs and other useful materials. The library will be housed in a capacious block. In addition to the central library each department will have its own library.
SNU Library Vision & Mission:
- SNU library will be an excellent, modern knowledge resource centre to disseminate latest information for teaching, learning and research of the University's diverse community by providing modern library and information services.
- Maintain effective national and international resource sharing network relations towards disseminating more value added information services to all the University community within the library budget limits.
- Adopt effective online digital innovative policy, encourage life long learning and implement the best management practices.
SNU Library Major Goals:
- Start and improve the usability and development of library's newly subscribed information resources.
- Improve and develop the learning, teaching and research facilities of the University by procuring the outstanding collections of Online Digital Resources.
- Develop network resource sharing relations with consortia partners and other institutional libraries.
- Develop SNU digital archive library.
- Select efficient and qualified staff to offer more value added information services to the University community.
- Library providing printing, scanning and photocopying services to all the faculty and student community.
- Faculty and Student community can retrieve online information relating to all academic activities from the dedicated terminals situated in the library under digital library programme.
- Arranging Online Databases through Local Area Network (LAN) to all the faculty and student community.
- Providing network resource sharing facilities through DELNET and interlibrary loan services from neighbor institution libraries.
The library has a total collection about 40000 documents including reference and text books. Books are being arranged on open access shelves for easy search and retrieval purposes.
While most books are available for issue, some of the books kept exclusively for reference in side the library purpose. The reference books can be photocopied subject to copyright regulations.
Textbooks for undergraduate courses are arranged in a separate place. Since only a limited number of copies are available for each individual title, students are encouraged to buy their own textbooks.
Light Reading Collection:
Library has also collected an impressive light reading collection including literature, sports, fiction and self-development books for improving the reading habit among the student community especially.
News Paper Collection: Library is subscribing 14 newspapers both in English and Hindi languages to satisfy the needs of all types of user community.
Magazines and Periodicals: Library has been subscribing a good
number of magazines both in English and Hindi languages and subject periodicals
to satisfy the academic and reference needs of both student and faculty
community. All most all Hindi and English newspapers are being subscribed by the
library to cater the needs of all types of users representing all over India. At
present library is subscribing 165 periodicals and 52 magazines both in English and Hindi to cater the needs of all types of reader community.
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC):
The online bibliography database of the University library can access through internet for checking particular titles by author's name, keyword or title. Library catalogue has been computerized through KOHA, an International renowned open source library software package. Library catalogue can also be searched using a common web browser from any terminal located in the campus.
Library is always encouraging to all students and faculty to recommend new books in order to strengthen it collection base. The students and faculty members can suggest new titles by completing necessary formalities through Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) also.
The library shall function in the following hours unless otherwise specified by the librarian On all working days (except holidays).
Monday to Sunday : 09.00 A.M to 02.00 A.M
Library Open Access:
All the library members have partial open access to library documents. This facility is granted to library members to encourage their reading habits and to promote the maximum use of library documents.
Library admission shall be granted to the members of the library provided that
Any member not observing the above conditions is liable for refusal of admission and in such cases Librarian's decision is final.
- Each member shall sign the gate register in token of his acceptance to adhere
to the rules of the library.
- Each student shall be required to produce the Identity Card on demand.
- The member should not under the influence of intoxicants.
- The member shall be properly dressed.
- The member shall not carry any belongings except money purse, note book
and reference cards
- Library Attendant at the check counter is empowered to examine every thing
that passes into/out of the library.
- The member should keep silence within the library.
- The member should not smoke nor spit in the library.
- The member should not misbehave nor damage the documents or other
properties of the library.
- Library documents taken out for consultation from shelves should not be
Restored to the shelves; they should be left on the reading tables in the
Library documents can be borrowed for home use normally during the lending hours as specified by the librarian from time to time. Books to be loaned for overnight shall be issued half an hour before the closing time and have to be returned within the first hour of the opening of the library on the next day.
Number of books eligible to borrow :
a). Faculty Members : 10 Books b).
Staff members : 5 Books c). Post
Graduates & Research Scholars : 10 Books d). Under
Graduates : 5 Books.
Loaning period for various library documents for different categories is as follows:
a). Faculty and Staff : 4 Weeks
b). Post Graduates & Research Scholars : 4 Weeks
c). Under Graduates : 2 Weeks
2) Reserved Books:
Faculty and Students: One book for overnight
3) Periodicals and Serials:
Faculty and Students: Two for overnight
4) Theses, dissertations, books of plates, rare books, books out of print, reprints, microfilms, reference books of general nature such as encyclopedia, almanacs, directories, hand books, reports, pamphlets, technical bulletins shall not be issued for home reading and can be consulted in the library.
Books shall be loaned subject to the following conditions.
- Borrower should get satisfied that the library document lent is in sound condition and the pages are neither missing nor torn. In case a library document is found to be damaged and the same has not been reported to the Library Attendant, the borrower shall be held responsible for such damage (s) and the borrower shall be required to replace it or pay the value there of as determined by the Librarian.
- Library document should not be spoiled by underlining or writing with pen, pencil, ink, or by any other means.
- Library document loaned for the normal period may be renewed for one more loan period on production of the same provided they are not already claimed by other readers.
- Library document is non-transferable, nor shall any member borrow library documents(s) on other member's account.
- Member can borrow library documents only once in a day.
- Library documents which in the opinion of the Librarian are not in good condition shall not be issued for home reading.
- Library documents to be taken on loan should be presented at the check / deposit counter with the gate pass issued at the Issue Counter for checking.
Fines and Penalties:
- The following charges shall be recovered for each library document retained more than the period of loan from the borrower.
New Library Overdue
Charges/fines is as follows:
Overdue Charges/ Fines
Post graduates/ research
First 30 days overdue charges Rs. 2/- per day.
ii) Next 30 days overdue charges Rs. 4/- per day.
After 60 days overdue charges Rs. 5/- per day till the date of final settlement.
ii) Library documents issued for over night : Rs.5/- per day during over due.
iii) Library suspend to issue new books, if the student is overdue two or
more books at one time. The suspension will remove as soon as he/she clears all
- Books lost: The member shall report immediately to the Librarian loss of any library document(s) borrowed from the library. The following charges shall be recovered for the loss of library document(s).
i) General book: Replacement or the current price plus Rs.100/- as processing
ii) Text book, multi volumes book and reference book : Replacement or current price plus Rs.100/-
as processing fee. The cost of the complete set shall have to be paid along with the fine for the loss of single volume if it is not available separately.
iii) Bound volume of periodicals : Replacement or five times the cost of
the volume plus Rs.100/- as processing fee.
iv) Overdue fine charges are in addition to all the above charges.
- Damage or Mutilation: Replacement or repairs or the cost of the document plus fine up to Rs.50/-.
- Unauthorized removal of the library documents: Removing library documents without getting them properly issued is a serious misdemeanor and Librarian shall have powers to impose fine up to Rs.50/-.
Reprographic Services (Print, Scan and Photocopying):
- Print and Scan services can be offered between 4.00 P.M to 10.00 P.M for all the students for Rs.2/- per page.
Librarian, Shiv Nadar University,
Dadri-203207, Uttar Pradesh, INDIA.
Phone: 0120-3819100; E-mail: email@example.com,